Below I have included some instructions for avoiding the repercussions of spam. I got scammed earlier this year, so I'm really hesitant when it comes to information that sounds 'too good to be true', so I always do a little extra digging before I trust random notes from other deviants, ESPECIALLY if there is a link in the note.
In the last half hour alone, I got two spam notes to my main page, both of them (from two different accounts) had this same message:
just looked at your artwork and it looks really cool.
You got an unique style .
I just came across a site that offers a free upgrade for DA
It worked for me and I got a 12 months upgrade, great, might lead to some extra exposure too.
You might check it out as well:
[link included here]
And remember, keep up the good work!
Now listen carefully,
1. DO NOT CLICK THE LINK
2. DO NOT RESPOND TO THE NOTE
The best way to check if the note and link are legit is to visit the sender's page. There are four things you need to be looking for:
1. When they joined DA - if it has been less than a week since they joined and they are claiming to have gotten a 12 month upgrade, THE MESSAGE THEY SENT YOU IS SPAM
2. Are there any submissions? - if there are no uploaded artworks it is safe to assume that THE MESSAGE THEY SENT YOU IS SPAM
3. Are there any favorites? - in the note they claimed to have looked at my art and liked it, if there are no favorites it is safe to assume that THE MESSAGE THEY SENT YOU IS SPAM
4. Read the comments left on the page - here you can see what other deviants have written about this person, if the message is spam, generally someone else has been sent the message as well and they have let others know here. In the case of the notes I received the links were viruses.
The next step is to go back to your note and mark it as SPAM. This will let the administrative people of DeviantArt know that there is an issue with the message and get the problem resolved.
I hope this helps, be sure to look out for fishy or odd links.
Until next time,